We train using only positive reinforcement. Dogs flourish in a reinforced based training program.
WHAT THE PTSD SERVICE DOG DOES:
- Help client stay calm and focused when anxiety starts
- Block (create protective space around client)
- Alert client to events or danger
- Retrieve objects for veterans with mobility challenges
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DOGS WE RESCUE:
- 1-2 years of age
- Healthy-no allergies, eye/ear problems or skin issues
- Test negative for Heartworms
- No hip or elbow dysplasia
- No aggression towards people, children, other dogs, strangers or cats
- Stable temperament-no fear reactions to loud noises, crowds or busy places
- Not overly vocal when impatient or bored
- Friendly to all people
Through Wags and Warriors, Rescued Dogs are given a second chance at life. Thousands of dogs are euthanized in shelters across our country daily. Wags & Warriors’ goal is to evaluate shelter dogs and rescue those that fit the criteria needed to perform as K9 Companions. Once rescued, the dog will go through an extensive training program with professional trainers. First the dogs will be trained in basic obedience so they are able to go out in public and stay focused on their task. Next the dogs will be trained to perform specific behaviors needed to help their new veteran. These behaviors range from helping with mobility for veterans with physical disabilities to providing emotional stability and a safety space for veterans with emotional challenges.